Since 1950 The National Council on Aging (NOCA) has been improving the lives of millions of older adults as they age and navigate a new chapter. Their operation involves sharing resources to support seniors in navigating their health, the healthcare system, financial planning, and living a physically healthy lifestyle. They offer support for aging adults, caregivers, and advocates.
In addition to NOCA, many resources, such as podcasts, articles, books, and support groups, exist to share information that older adults can utilize to embrace their changing lives.
As we all know, yet struggle to accept at times, aging is a natural process that happens to everyone. It is a time of change, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Here are a few ways to age to perfection.
- Stay active. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your health. It helps keep your body strong, heart healthy, and mind sharp. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate-strenuous exercise 5 days a week.
- Health Diet. Eating a healthy diet is essential for good health. Make sure to eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Choose lean protein sources and limit your intake of processed foods, sugary drinks, and unhealthy fats.
Need assistance and accountability managing your activity and diet? Check out our list of health apps & top wearable devices here.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for both physical and mental health. Most adults need around 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Limit screen time before bed.
- Manage stress. Stress can take a toll on your physical and mental health. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise, yoga, meditation, or spending time in nature. If you need to speak with a professional about managing your stress, several therapy apps are available, including BetterHelp and Talkspace.
- Stay connected with friends and family. Social support is vital for both physical and mental health. Make time for regular social interactions with friends and family. Many community centers have activity groups you can join if you live far away from family and friends.
- Learn new things. Staying mentally active is essential for cognitive health. Challenge yourself by learning new things, such as a language, skill, or hobby. Duolingo anyone?
- Give back to others. Helping others can give you a sense of purpose and meaning in life. Volunteer your time to a cause that you care about. Check out volunteer.gov for opportunities.
Aging gracefully is a journey, not a destination. It is about making choices to help you live a long, healthy, and fruitful life. Do you have any suggestions on how to age – drop them in the comments below.